Sunday, November 15, 2009

Gas stop in Detriot

OFF I Go
I began my trip on a rainy fall day. Leaving Toronto not really sure as to what I was doing. But never the less felt very compelled to leave and try to answer some questions that seemed to intrigue my. My first stop after crossing into Detroit was to fuel up. As I eased my way into the station I was greeted by a young boy approximately ten years old. He asked if he could fill up my tank. I replied of course his name was Danny and he did not work for the station but offered his services as an entrepreneur would. As he began to refresh my tank I asked how long he had been doing this for. His reply two years to help bring some money into the home. I noticed he was well dressed and was wearing nice shoes . I asked where he got such nice clothes, from the church he replied with a smile. He considered himself lucky as they were just donated and he was fortunate enough to get them. After filling up I told him how proud I was of him and compensated him for a job well done. I told him stay in school but continue to work hard and the future would be all his. After I got back onto the road I thought about so many children where I live. They are out playing hockey or x box and just enjoying a care free life with no worries. So far removed from the mean streets of Detroit where Danny comes from. I wonder if they could even comprehend how lucky they are to have the safety and security of a stable environment. On my return trip I plan to stop at the same station. There is something about the child that you know he will make a success of himself regardless of the circumstances. He has a great attitude and is very pleasant. Children should not carry the worries such as Danny but my hat is off to him for trying to earn a little money to help out. He did not know where his father was and was being raised by his mother who works two jobs. I admire the boy and wish the best for him. He is in my thoughts often but I believe his good nature and determination will carry him far.

No comments:

Post a Comment