Sunday, September 20, 2009

The big city

Well being from an industrial based city that relies heavily on the auto industry, I thought perhaps I was wrong as to severity of the current economic situation. About six weeks ago I thought maybe a should venture out to a more urban setting. So off I went into Toronto . Living in a very close proximity to one of the largest cities in Canada it may dispel my worst fears. I drive somewhat of an unusual car that seemed to create quite a stir. As I toured around all of the areas of the city each rich in their own culture I felt much like a tourist in my own backyard. I met so many wonderful people from all different walks of life each adding to my experience in their own way. As I drove around people began to take pictures of me in my peculiar car not just a few, but hundreds on any given night. It was a great feeling to make so many people smile and hear their various stories and communicate with so many strangers. Once again my mission was clear to me. I really wanted to find out for myself if things were as bad as I feared. It was an unusual feeling to be approached by so many people on a regular basis, but it was something I truly enjoyed. One chance encounter I had was with a location man out shooting for tourism Canada. We met on a busy street and exchanged cards. A phone call later we have become good friends. From there I was introduced to a producer from a major network. We discussed my passion to seek the answers about the current economic situation and what I was prepared to do so maybe I could help others or I understand it at a working man’s level. I felt somewhat honored and relieved that others to shared the same concerns. After a few meetings it was decided that we would shoot some footage on my journeys throughout the city. Our first night out I met several young talented cameraman. These young gentlemen were in their mid to late twenties. They had worked for years at a major network some had personally interviewed world leaders. They seemed to have been raised in the finest of homes. They have travelled the globe and were very well schooled. One particular fellow was an avid sailor. As we begin to get acquainted with one another they explained to me their other jobs. Somewhat surprised I inquire as to what other jobs they held. A few of them work in the service industry to supplement their incomes. That was the first red flag for me with many more to follow. I thought about my own children and wondered about their futures. Here was some smart young talent who by most standards had much more opportunities than most will ever have. Serving coffee for minimum wage because there simply is no work in their chosen field. These young men were energetic and certainly did not lack intelligences. After the shoot I began the drive back to my much smaller factory town with all the empty businesses which once were are mainstay of our city wondering what the future will hold for our youth.

No comments:

Post a Comment